spent the night in Las Cruces, NM at the brand new Drury Inn. pretty decent place as far as travel hotels are concerned. as usual, I was up at the crack of dawn. i woke, showered, went to the lobby where I ate breakfast and read the newspaper before returning to the room to wake everybody up. it was 7:30am and daylight was wasting.
Day 2 highlights:
- traveling tunes: more switchfoot, 80’s mix CD and the Eagles
- movies: school of rock, 27 dresses
- we played music trivia. and yours truly totally dominated.
- just before leaving New Mexico we stopped at an old ghost town in Steins, and ironically it was “closed”.
- we stopped at the In-n-Out burger in Tucson for lunch. simple concept and simple menu. the french fries are great.
- after leaving Tucson, we slowly watched the temperature increase from 98 to 111. make no mistake, it’s hot, but very little humidity actually makes it bearable.
- after arriving in Phoenix, we drove around town to get our bearings. then headed to our vacation house.
- the rental house is more than we could have expected. great area, friendly neighbors, everything was just perfect. Everybody unpacked, kids hit the pool, Wendy and I hit the grocery store for steaks. life is good.